Our Quarterly Editions aren’t necessarily tied thematically to the season in which they’re released, but every few years we feel compelled to head back into the woods for Autumn. “Mackinaw Autumn” (2009) and “Shenandoah” (2015) were beloved editions that made great use of the warm colors of fall foliage, but it felt like time to try a different twist.
At a glance, Field Notes’ Fall 2019 “Autumn Trilogy” edition seems perfectly simple, but the subtly debossed leaves and embossed logo are the result of a very complicated process. First, we selected three beautiful cover papers from Mohawk’s Via line: “Warm Red,” “Safety Yellow,” and “Scarlet,” all with a vellum finish. These roughly approximate the Fall leaf colors of the North American Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum), the American Elm (Ulmus americana), and the Scarlet Oak (Quercus coccinea).
Using photographs for reference, we carefully traced the shape, contours and vein patterns of each leaf into a scaleable vector file, then created a “lock-up” of each cover layout with our logo and cover text. A sculptor at our diemaker converted the flat vector files into a three-dimensional computer model to evaluate the tolerances for embossing and debossing, and to simulate how the covers would look under various lighting conditions before the expensive and time-consuming process of physical diemaking began.
The final result is wonderfully subtle at first glance, but a close look reveals a deeper complexity. That sounds like a pretty over-the-top way to describe pocket memo books, but we bet you’ll agree when they’re in your hands.
01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
02. Cover: Mohawk Via 80#C vellum “Warm Red,” “Safety Yellow,” and “Scarlet” with a tinted varnish and embossing by Nu Wave Die Cutting & Finishing, Chicago, Ill. using sculpted dies from E.C. Schultz and Co., Elk Grove Village, Ill.
03. Innards: Finch Paper Fine Ultra Smooth 70#T “Soft White,” with a fine, 2-color application of “Double Knee Duck Canvas and “Warm Red,” “Safety Yellow,” or “Scarlet” soy-based Toyo inks.
04. Cover printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.
07. Ruled lines: 1/4" (6.4mm).
08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
11. UPC: 858493003844
You may also like
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more …