Our latest Quarterly Edition commemorates the forty-nine preceding releases in our ongoing series that started with designing “Butcher Orange” way back in 2008. We’ve gone back to basics for the 3-Packs. Simple, beautiful, “Red Hot” French Paper Co. covers with silver metallic ink, surrounding 48 pages of silver Graph Grid. Metallic ink on a colored cover first appeared in our 5th release in 2009, “Just Below Zero,” and has made an appearance here and there since then.
We’ve used a lot of French Paper over the years but surprisingly this is our first use of Pop-Tone “Red Hot” stock. The books also feature an almost-blank flyleaf, with a Futura “50” peeking through a die-cut circle. Each 3-Pack contains three different flyleaf colors recalling a specific Quarterly Edition: Safety Orange from “Dime Novel,” Nightshift Blue from “End Papers,” and Gumdrop Green from “Grass Stain Green.”
In creating this set, we’ve been thinking a lot about all the editions that came before it, and what — if anything — we can conclude from this anniversary. Jim took a stab at it in his essay, “Counting to Fifty.”
01. Proudly printed by the good people of Lake County Press, Inc., Waukegan, Ill.
02. Memo Book Covers: French Pop-Tone 100#C “Red Hot,” with a thick, brute force, 1-color application of “Walking Liberty Silver” soy-based Toyo UV ink.
03. Memo Book Flyleaves: French 70#T “Nightshift Blue,” “Safety Orange,” or “Gumdrop Green.”
04. Anniversary Desk Ledger first signature: French Paper Company Pop-Tone 100#C “Red Hot.” Body: Pop-Tone 70#T “Hot Fudge,” Pop-Tone 70#T “Pink Lemonade,” Construction 70#T “Nightshift Blue,” Construction 70#T “Safety Orange,” Pop-Tone 70#T “Gumdrop Green” printed with a thick, brute force application of “Dachshund Nose Black” and “Walking Liberty Silver” soy-based Toyo UV inks. Last Signature: French Paper Company Dur-O-Tone 70#T “Packing Brown Wrap,” printed with a thick, brute force 5-color application of white and process-color soy-based Toyo UV inks.
05. Memo Book and Anniversary Desk Ledger Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “New Friends Silver” soy-based Toyo ink.
06. Memo Book and Anniversary Desk Ledger covers, flyleaves, and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color UV printing press.
07. Memo Book bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer and Rima RS 10S in-line stacker at Lake County Press, Waukegan, Ill. Anniversary Desk Ledger hand-assembled and bound with American & Eﬁrd Tex 40 D-Core 32187 thread on an Aster sewing machine and Kolbus KM600 binder at Reindl Bindery, Germantown, Wisc.
08. Memo Book Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius. Anniversary Desk Ledger corners rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.