Appropriately launched on the Autumnal Equinox, our limited release for the Fall of 2021 is the “Harvest” Edition. Noted American artist John Burgoyne’s illustrations grace the covers of the six Memo Books in this series, featuring fruits and vegetables commonly harvested in the Fall. Two 3-Packs (Pack A and Pack B) contain all six versions. These packs are perfect for the foodie or gardener on your gift list.
The illustrations are embossed into a new – and perfect for this edition – cover stock. Mohawk’s “Renewal” line uses rapidly renewable resources. We’ve selected their “Fiber White,” which is made from hemp fiber blended with post-consumer paper waste and responsibly sourced virgin fibers. This lovely and sturdy cover stock takes the embossing beautifully and makes the most of John Burgoyne’s delicate ink-and-watercolor technique.
John’s intricate and instantly recognizable illustrations regularly appear inCook’s Illustrated, National Geographic,and other publications. We visited him on Cape Cod and had a chat about his work and career.
01. Cover illustrations by American artist John Burgoyne, johnburgoyneillustration.com
02. Proudly printed by the good people of Active Graphics, Cicero, Ill.
03. Cover: Mohawk Renewal Hemp 120#C “Fiber White” Rough, with a brute force application of process-color soy-based Saphira inks.
04. Innards: Finch Fine 70#T “Soft White,” with a gentle 1-color application of “Harvest Green” soy-based Saphira ink and inline perforations.
05. Cover and innards printed (and perforated) on a Komori Lithrone S40 40" 6-color offset printing press.
06. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
07. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius.